Below is a brief overview of some of the natural treatments for bursitis:
Hydrotherapy: In hydrotherapy, warm and cold packs are applied on the affected body part. While ice reduces the swelling of the body part affected from bursitis, warm water and hot showers aid in achieving relief from the pain arising as a result of the swelling.
Applying hot and cold compresses alternatively boosts blood circulation in the affected body part. This will not only help in bringing more nutrients to the affected area, but removes wastes as well, thereby aiding the recovery process.
Homeopathy: Patients selecting homeopathic treatment for bursitis are advised to take belladonna, Rhus toxicodendron, and Bryonia to minimize pain and inflammation in the affected body part. Applying Arnica gel to the affected area also helps in providing instant relief from pain.
Acupuncture: Acupuncture is also an effective way to relieve the pain of bursitis. This natural therapy addresses the underlying imbalance in energy, or qi, that made the person susceptible to bursitis in the first place. The acupuncturist notes the lifestyle of the individual, and often does a complete physical before the insertion of any needles. In acupunture, tiny needles are skillfully placed in specific locales on the body to restore or re-distribute energy, until balance is achieved.
Chiropractic: Another effective treatment for bursitis is chiropractic treatment. The treatment involves spinal maneuvering and manipulation to adjust the spine. It not only helps in building proper motion in various joints but also improves blood circulation and helps in getting relief from bursitis pain.
Massage: Massage therapy is a result-oriented solution to treat non-infective bursitis. In this treatment, massage of the affected area is done by using mild essential oils that help by decreasing inflammation and improving blood circulation to the joint. Light massage on the affected area helps in relaxing muscles and getting relief from the pain in bursitis affected area.
Reflexology: Reflexology is a method of bodywork that concentrates mainly on the feet. The main theory of reflexology is that there are "reflex points" on the feet and hands that correlate to specific organs, glands, and other parts of the body. Applying pressure to these reflex spots is thought to promote health in the matching organs by way of energetic pathways. Internal balance is the goal.
1. Cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar: Rub the affected body area with warm olive oil then boil 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes, let it cool until it will not burn, then dip a cloth in the liquid and apply to the affected body part.
2. Sea Water: Drinking sea water is also understood to cure chronic bursitis. Patients can buy the sea water from a local health food store. However, patients with high blood pressure must not take it.
3. Emu Oil: Emu oil contains high levels of linolenic acid which penetrates the skin and provides the relief from bursitis pain. Apply Emu oil on the bursitis affected muscles and joints. This is one of the best home remedies for bursitis.
4. Mullein tea: Soak a cloth in mullein tea and apply it on the bursitis affected area. Repeat this process at regular intervals. To prevent stiffness, apply lobelia oil to the affected joints. Chamomile, hops, and skullcap tea also help in healing process.
5. Milk: At night, before going to bed, consume 1 cup of hot milk with 2-3 teaspoons of Castor oil in it. This will help eliminate toxicity in the colon and will help improve bowel movements, which ultimately will cleanse the impurities of the colon. Individuals are recommended to continue taking this remedy until the symptoms disappear. If you can find raw milk in your local area, even better. Homogenized milk is basically 'dead' of nutritive value.
6. Water: If the bursitis is caused because of gout, water is the best therapy. Drink a lot of water to flush out the system and maintain a proper diet. Hydration is a tremendously important element of good health anyway.